Ask & Share

Post New Topic

Please answer this question...

18 1
A friend of mine wants to stay here in the United States and do college here, but her parents told her that if she stayed in the United States, she will not get paid from her parents for doing college here.Any helpful advice on this? Please help guys, thanks really appreciate it :D
chirayu1 posted Oct 14, 2012

go back and have parents pay....

encorez (rep: 10k) posted Oct 14, 2012


Well if your friend is determine to stay here for college, i think the best bet is for her to look for work around where she is staying. Schools can help you look for work. Try to apply for scholarships, it can help lower her tuition, there's also work-study programs, the school she is going to attend should have all this information for her.
If the tuition is too high maybe find a alternative school for her budget at the time being, maybe when her financial situation is more stable and she can plan everything on how she can pay for her tuition for the school she is determine to go to and transfer her credits to that school.
from my personal experience and opinion, stay away from loans, it will hurt you in the long run. I learned the hard way=T
Maybe you can give him/her a hand with a place to stay until she gets on her feet.
Good luck to your friend and i hoped i helped a little=)

MrBklynW (rep: 426k) posted Oct 14, 2012


Thanks guys!

chirayu1 (rep: 304) posted Oct 14, 2012


what's so hard to decide?
either free tuition or pay for it yourself.

chuckydealpl (rep: 59.7k) posted Oct 14, 2012


dude MrBklynW, it's illegal for foreigners to work in the US under an F-1 student visa unless it's TA/school related work with special CPT permit. You cannot get loans here bc of your status, no one will give you money and you get 0 financial aid. Unless you are rich or have tons of scholarships, go back home.

kffight3r (rep: 767) posted Oct 14, 2012


lols then work illegally=P

Well i was just giving suggestion, i wasn't going to get into specifics on paper work. I'm sure if one is determine, they'll find a way.....Get married with a U.S citizen, you are set.

I apology if i gave any inaccurate information, was mostly sharing from my own experience in providing for myself and paying for school.

but i guess kffight3r is right. you can't work here, with out special permit or apply for H1-B work visa (which is already capped, from what i research)

Anyone here familiar with foreign policy here?

MrBklynW (rep: 426k) posted Oct 15, 2012


They are not illegal, they are citizen in the US, she is completing high school in 2013, but wants to go to school here and her parents want her to go to Columbia, is there a way she can stay alone and do college independtly?

chirayu1 (rep: 304) posted Oct 15, 2012


College costs a fortune here, and good paying work for someone fresh out of high school is going to be very hard to find, not to mention the time that work will take away from her studies. Financial aid is almost always going to require a financial statement from the parents, even if they refuse to pay anything. I'm going to assume that she has no credit to speak of just graduating from high school, and student loans are a real bad idea anyway because you generally have no way out other than death or total disability in the event that she can't pay them back, and the penalties for making late payments are absolutely draconian. A borrower can quickly end up owing 3 to 4 times what they borrowed.

I wouldn't think twice about taking the free ride from mom & dad.

fluffy (rep: 2.2k) posted Oct 15, 2012


Thumbs up time.....

encorez (rep: 10k) posted Oct 15, 2012


This doesn't make any sense at all. You say she is not here illegally, but her parents do not want her to stay in America to get her education?

I don't understand it at all.

MdavidK30 (rep: 3.7k) posted Oct 16, 2012


when you see the thumbs down ass everybody needs to give thumbs up just to get rid of the Fool.

encorez (rep: 10k) posted Oct 16, 2012


I say mom and dad... it will only be 4 years then she can move back to the US after she gets her degree.. and if she is really motivated she can do it in less.

ArtemisDeals (rep: 7.2k) posted Oct 17, 2012