(Jamie is a guest blogger from Jamie Cooks It Up!)
With the start of football season (and basketball season coming soon!), we thought it might be nice to post a few (super easy) game day recipes that are sure to put a smile on the faces of your loved ones. You could serve all three of them together for a tasty, well-rounded party lineup. However, all are great served on their own as well. Now, on to the recipes!
Chili Cheese Dip has very few ingredients and can be made in 10 minutes time. Seriously, that is something to be happy about, yes? It’s loaded with hearty chili flavor and is wonderful served with tortilla chips, or chunks of french bread.
CHILI CHEESE DIP
Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 cups of dip
1 (14 ounce) can Chili Con Carne with Beans
1 (15 ounce) can Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tb butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour all ingredients into a microwave safe bowl. Cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir well and give it a taste. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Heat for an additional 2 minutes and stir. Repeat until it’s nice and hot. Serve with tortilla chips or chunks of french bread.
Cheesy Ranch French Bread is buttery, crispy and packed with ranch flavor. (Who doesn’t love that, I ask you!) A sprinkling of green onion and bacon over the top kicks it up a notch, and is sure to have your sports fans coming back for more.
CHEESY RANCH FRENCH BREAD
Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 large slices
1 loaf french bread, cut lengthwise
6 Tb butter, softened
4 tsp ranch dressing seasoning mix
2 C cheddar cheese
2 Tb green onion, chopped
3 Tb cooked bacon, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the french bread lengthwise and lay it open faced on a large cookie sheet.
3. Mix the softened butter and the ranch mix together in a small bowl. Spread it over the top of the bread.
4. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the bread is nice and toasty.
5. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the bread and return the pan to the oven, allowing the cheese to melt and get nice and bubbly. Should only take 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the green onions and bacon on top.
7. Allow it to cool for 2-3 minutes, then slice it into wedges and serve immediately.
Sticky BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, folks. I can not explain adequately with words how delicious these are! The chicken drumsticks are cooked in the crock pot, then coated with savory sweet BBQ sauce and set in the oven to broil. The result is super tender, fall of the bone, chicken with an amazingly sticky sweet exterior that is truly fantastic. Seriously, I was so happy with the way these turned out. Not only would they make great game day food, but are easy enough to make for a weeknight meal served with a couple of great sides. I can’t wait to make them again, they were that good.
STICKY BBQ CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
Time: 15 minutes prep + 4-7 hours slow cooking
Yield: about 16 drumsticks
4 pounds chicken drumsticks, fresh with skin removed
1/2 C zesty Italian dressing (I used Kraft)
1 C BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
1 Tb brown sugar
1. Remove the skin from the chicken with a sharp knife or pair of kitchen scissors.
2. Spray a 4 quart crock pot with cooking spray and lay the chicken inside.
3. In a small bowl, or glass measuring cup combine the Italian dressing, BBQ sauce and brown sugar.
4. Pour half of the sauce over the chicken. Refrigerate the remaining sauce.
5. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.
6. Turn your oven to broil.
7. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and carefully lay the chicken onto the pan. Brush it with half of the remaining sauce.
8. Pop the pan into the oven for 2- 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and brush the remaining sauce over the chicken. Return it to the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce has created a fabulous sticky coating.