(Alex is a guest blogger from Fashion Stash.)
The last days of summer can feel somewhat bittersweet – with fall comes new beginnings, cozy comforts, and even cozier clothes, yet we leave behind some of our favorite warm-weather staples. Not only does this time of year mean a change in wardrobe strategy, it’s also a time to give our closets a serious overhaul. The cooler months certainly bring out some amazing wardrobe pieces, but this doesn’t mean we’re quite ready to say goodbye to those flowy sundresses and denim shorts.
There is nothing more frustrating than leaving behind your most beloved summer essentials to find out they might actually be able to make an appearance during the new season. Impossible, you might say? However, with these five, simple styling tricks, you can easily transition your wardrobe and wear outfits that are both weather-appropriate and fashion-forward!
1. White tees may just be the most overlooked items in your closet with the most potential for outfit versatility. Layering is key to making simple items pop, and with the addition of a vest or jacket you can add more composition, without taking away from its simplicity. Sincerely Jules adds a soft grunge look through incorporating a military-style shirt around her waist (also convenient for when the temperatures drop). Check out H&M for the more affordable option!
2. Overalls have been seen again and again, but never did you think they could be reintroduced to your regular rotation. Rather than pairing them with a crop top and sandals, try wearing booties and a printed boxy tee for a more textured look. You can also try experimenting with different fabrics like suede, which you can easily rock all year round. Natalie Off Duty shows with a quick change in shoes and shirt – you can create a more textured and layered look, perfect for the fall! Visit Forever 21 to find budget-friendly overalls!
3. Shirt dresses are another very versatile item because they can be transformed from day-to-night and summer-to-fall. As the temperatures cool, you can throw on a chunky sweater and some boots for an effortlessly chic look, or dress it up with a nice belt and some pumps for a night out. A Walk In The Park demonstrates her effortlessly chic take on the chambray shirt dress by pairing it with a felt floppy hat and suede booties. Find a similar shirt dress at Nordstrom!
4. If you can’t let go of that floral dress just yet, try adding a leather jacket into the mix to give you a more edgy and sophisticated look. Incorporating leather can also create a nice contrast to lighter materials like lace and cotton. With Love From Kat transitions her favorite summer dress with a major fall staple – leather. Find a more affordable leather jacket at Chic Wish.
5. Fringe made its mark all throughout summer, but it is one item that can be incorporated in many different ways. The tricky part is making sure it’s not too thick or too much. Usually, you want to stick with fringe that will accentuate your outfit – not overwhelm it. In this case, less is more. Penny Pincher Fashion creates a neutral transitional look by pairing a suede mini with a fringe sweater vest – a fall take on fringe. Try a fringe cardigan from Charlotte Russe.
Visit Fashion Stash to check out more looks like this!