Let’s face it – mobile apps have become a huge part of our lives. If not for entertainment purposes, we’ve come to rely on them for simple things in life like ordering food, locating a store, keeping us on track with our fitness goals, etc. Apps are there for us when we need them in innumerable ways, but there are several spectacular apps that truly stand out. I’ve rounded up a list of some of the most popular iOS and Android apps of 2015, and we’ll tell you some of the apps you are going to love in the coming year.
1. DealsPlus: I love this app (obviously). But seriously though, before I buy anything, I always check DealsPlus to see if I can find coupon codes or better deals for the same or similar products. I’ve saved a ton of money this way!
2. MapMyRun: For all you runners out there – if you haven’t tried this app, what are you doing with your life? Just kidding. Keep track of your distance and time, choose your music and route, and even monitor your sleep quality.
3. Venmo: In this modern day and age of plastic, say so long to paper currency and hello to Venmo. My coworkers and I use it whenever we go out for lunch so we don’t have to ask for 15 separate checks. (It’s even become a verb like Google, so you know that means it’s made an impact on our lives.)
4. Mint: A few weeks ago, one of our writers wrote an article about why you should use Mint (or another online budgeting tool). Read about it here.
5. Zombies, Run!: If you want to run but don’t really have the motivation to do it, try this app. Listen as you run to escape zombies, and you can mix your music with their story. Save yourself!
6. OpenTable: Read restaurant reviews, browse menus, make reservations, and even pay for your meal conveniently in this app. You’ll also get rewarded for dining out – whoo! More reasons to feast.
7. Tinder: Anonymously swipe right or left on people in your area, and you might end up with the perfect match if they like you back! You can even chat with them in the app so you don’t have to exchange phone numbers right off the bat.
8. eBay: Everything is becoming mobile-friendly, so of course, this massive online marketplace had to offer that option as well. Buy and sell to your heart’s desire!
9. Uber or Lyft: It’s a hot debate between these two service apps, so I thought it’d be most respectful to include both of them. I’ve used both, and I can confidently say that they are way cheaper than a cab and my experiences were always top-notch!
10. Waze: Navigate through the city via drivers who share live traffic details and road information so you can save time and gas money. You’ll avoid a lot of road rage with this!
2016: The Year of Appticipation
Now that app creators and developers are well-equipped with contextual data about their users and the vital power of their apps’ in their users’ everyday lives, with “appticipation,” as formulated by UX Magazine, app geniuses “can take the findings from [their] analysis and apply them towards [their] existing app features, helping [them] better categorize and personify [their] user” in the new year. This year, apps are going to flourish in usability, efficiency, customer satisfaction, and more.
1. Phrasebook: With 13 languages to learn at your disposal, there’s really no reason to not have this app in your phone. The multilingual parrot will work with you to practice your speaking and listening skills in your chosen language, and it will even speak on your behalf if you’re chatting with international friends! Phrasebook is ideal for nomads.
2. Teladoc: When you’re sick, the last thing you want to do is crawl out of bed and pay a visit to the doctor. Here’s your solution: Teladoc allows for virtual doctor’s visits. You can literally have a doctor diagnose your sickness and prescribe treatments from a FaceTime call. When you need your medicine, try GetMyRx to get your prescription delivered.
3. Peloton Cycle: Spin classes are the hot new thing, but for some of us, cycling like mad in a room full of strangers is a bit off-putting. Luckily for us, you can now pedal away in your home via Peloton Cycle’s live stream. With over 10 daily rides to choose from, plan killer workouts on your own time in the comfort of your own abode.
4. Hotel Tonight: With the option to book tonight, tomorrow, or 7 days in advance, this app takes unsold rooms and offers them at amazing deals. What’s even better, you have access to customer support (real, live, nice people!!) anytime of day, every day of the week.
5. Pokémon Go: Our favorite childhood game is back and in modern-day form. I don’t imagine that it could fail with today’s advanced technologies, so fingers crossed that I’m right. Needless to say, I’m beyond excited to relive my Game Boy days.
6. Bumble: What’s going to happen when women are forced to become the initiator? Bumble has essentially the same concept as Tinder, but the varying aspect is that women have 24 hours after the match to strike up a conversation or the person is gone forever (this doesn’t apply if two people of the same sex get matched up).
7. Whym: If you’re all about spontaneity, you’re going to be all about Whym. Whym offers the most popular attractions and activities in London and Paris at slashed prices. If you choose to go with the flow on your next European excursion, download Whym for last-minute activities!
8. Tab: Open Tab and take a picture of your receipt. Your entire party can have the same bill on their own phones, then everyone can tap the items they ordered to claim them. Tab even divides tax and tip proportionally, so each person gets the correct total for their own meal. So efficient and simple!
9. Guusto: This app is the easiest way to send gifts digitally (via email or text message) to your loved ones. You can choose from a multitude of establishments for gift cards, drinks, lunches, etc., and include a personalized message. Right now, it’s only available in the App Store and Google Play, so we’re keeping our fingers crossed for Androids!
10. SelfieX: We’re living among the #selfie generation, so naturally, someone had to create a selfie app using the better, back-facing camera. Simply hold up your phone with the back camera facing you, and SelfieX will automatically capture your beautiful face. You can even edit the picture in the app!
11. DealsPlus: We’re always working to improve our app in innumerable ways. In 2016, DealsPlus will be better than ever, so stay on the lookout!