August 24, 2016
· 1.6k Views
Are you a Snapchat user? If not, now’s a great time to download the popular app. The app is growing in popularity and has just surpassed Twitter in terms of daily usage. Plus, there are always new features to check out. Snapchat, which was launched in 2011, is often confused with another photo app, Instagram, but the two are quite different. Instagram is full of selfies and carefully posed photos, while Snapchat is all about creativity and spur of the moment pictures.
Snapchat is the must-have app for men and women in their 20s. Looking to add some creative touches to your photos? Whether you’re a pro or a newbie, you can always learn something new about this app to take your pictures to a whole new level. Read on to learn more about the features you should know about.
*Note: To go to Settings, click on the Snapchat icon at the top middle section of the camera page. Once at that page, click the gear icon on the top right to access Settings.
- Easily resize text. Want to add a couple words of text, but not liking the fact that the text often spills over onto multiple lines and ruins the picture? You can easily fit all your text onto one line with this trick. Once you have added the text, tap the capitol T in the top right corner (middle editing option), and you’ll be able to squeeze your fingers from left to right to resize the text. You can also rotate the text however you'd like. Even easier than using Word!
- Add multiple filters. Many users like to add Geofilters to add the date, time and location to pictures so their friends can where they’re at and what they’re doing. But Snapchat allows you to do much more. You can easily add another filter. Use a finger to hold the screen still and then use another finger to swipe. You’ll then be able to add a cool background or effect.
- Decode the various emojis. You probably see emojis next to someone’s name, but what do they mean? Decode the hearts and faces by doing some research within the app’s settings. First, go to Settings, go to Manage, then click Friend Emojis. Here you can find out what Mutual Besties, BFF and Super BFF mean. Also, if you don’t like the default emojis, you can be creative and add your own.
- Add emojis to videos. Speaking of emojis, did you know you can add them to videos as well? Just add an emoji and press down to attach it to a certain object in your video. Then, when the object moves, the emoji also moves with it.
- Add a filter to your picture or video. To browse through Snapchat's constantly changing filters, flip the camera on selfie mode and hold down on your face until the grid captures it. You'll see a row of filters appear, so go crazy testing all of them out. There are voice changing video filters, face-distorting filters, and more. Oftentimes, there will be themes, like there were Olympic-themed filters previously!
- Use black and white effects for drawing. The color palette appears to go from read to orange, with no black or white in between. Does that mean you can’t use it? Of course not! Want to draw with white? Place your finger on the palette and go toward the upper left corner. If you’re looking for black, start on the palette and drag your finger toward the bottom right.
- Have a Snapchat party. When it’s a friend’s birthday, you can add some birthday-related filters to help celebrate. Add some confetti and other cool effects. Make sure your friends can return the favor by setting your birthday into the app. Go to Settings, and then click Birthday.
- Don’t let your stories disappear. By default, Snapchat pictures don’t last forever. They are deleted after they have been read or after 30 days, whichever comes first. But that doesn’t mean you have to let the story that you’ve spent so much time creating disappear into Internet oblivion. You can preserve it with these easy trick. On the far right of the screen, you’ll see three dots. Tap them and you’ll see a Download button on the left. Your image will say Saved! once it's added to your Photos folder.
- Easily send money through Square. Your PayPal or Venmo account has nothing on Square. Snapchat has an agreement with Square to allow you to easily send money through a chat. Go to Settings, click Snapcash and read through the terms. Agree to them, add a debit card and you can give your bestie some spending cash for her birthday or pay back a loan.
- Gain new followers. The purpose of most social media accounts is to increase followers. In fact, many businesses pay for this type of service, but you don’t have to. While finding new followers on Snapchat is not impossible, it’s still difficult. Find new Snapchat buddies by going to your profile page via the Snapchat icon on the camera page. Go to Add Friends and then Share Username to share your via text message, email, Twitter, Facebook, and more. At the Add Friends page, you can also add new users from your contacts page, by Snapcode, or by nearby location.
Snapchat can be a great way to use images to create fun photos and shareable stories. By utilizing the tips above, you can make the most of your snaps and unleash your creativity. Your friends will be excited to see what new creations you’ll come up with next!