Happy International Women’s Day! International Women’s Day (IWD) was originally International Working Women’s Day and is celebrated every year on March 8th. This international day was created to show appreciation, respect and love for all women achievements across the globe. What started as a socialist political movement is now a general day of appreciation for most countries. Some people celebrate IWD by adorning purple ribbons.
This year, UN honors International Women’s Day with the theme: “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality”. The motivation behind this theme is set to amplify the 2030 Agenda which is geared toward a range of Sustainable Development Goals and particularly their goal to “achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls”. Below are some key goals from the 2030 Agenda from the UN:
By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and Goal-4 effective learning outcomes.
By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys have access to quality early childhood development, care and preprimary education so that they are ready for primary education.
End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere.
Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation.
Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
1. "Let us devote solid funding, courageous advocacy and unbending political will to achieving gender equality around the world. There is no greater investment in our common future."
— UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon
2. “It’s never too late--never too late to start over, never too late to be happy.”
— Jane Fonda
4. "We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty."
— Mother Teresa
5. "You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world's problems at once but don't ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own."
— Michelle Obama
6. “Funny women are honest women.”
— Liz Meriwether
8. "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."
— Amelia Earhart
9. "I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done."
— Lucille Ball
10. “I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story — I will.”
— Amy Schumer
11. “To every woman who gave birth, to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody else’s equal rights, it’s our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America.”
— Patricia Arquette
12. “In societies where men are truly confident of their own worth, women are not merely tolerated but valued.”
— Aung San Suu Kyi
14. “Being a woman is a terribly difficult trade since it consists principally of dealings with men.”
— Joseph Conrad, Chance
15. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”
— Nora Ephron
16. “Every man I meet wants to protect me. I can't figure out what from.”
― Mae West
17. “I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.”
— Melinda Gates
19. “A woman is like a tea bag—you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.”
— Eleanor Roosevelt
20. “I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”
— Angelina Jolie
21. “Women are the real architects of society.”
— Harriet Beecher Stowe
22. “Feminism is for everybody.”
— Bell Hooks
23. “I believe that the rights of women and girls is the unfinished business of the 21st century.”
— Hillary Clinton
25. “Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine.”
— Whoopi Goldberg
26. “Beauty begins the moment you decided to be yourself.”
— Coco Chanel
27. “Behind every successful woman is herself.”
— Diane von Furstenberg
28. “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”
― Jane Austen
30. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker
31. “Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use.”
— Ruth Gordon
32. "We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all the civil and political rights that belong to citizens of the United States, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever."
— Susan B. Anthony
33. "If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
— Margaret Fuller
34. "People think at the end of the day that a man is the only answer [to fulfillment]. Actually a job is better for me."
— Princess Diana
36. "The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside, but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race."
— Susan B. Anthony
37. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
— Mary Anne Radmacher
38. “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”
— Eleanor Roosevelt
39. “When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.”
— Audre Lorde
41. “Nothing will work unless you do.”
— Maya Angelou
42. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
— Martin Luther King, Jr.
43. “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”
— Madeleine Albright
44. "One of the secrets to staying young is to always do things you don't know how to do, to keep learning."
— Ruth Reichl
In appreciation of women worldwide, we say, treat yourself today. We've put together a list of women's day sales and deals for you to browse through so keep strong and look fabulous.