August 10, 2016
· 1.2k Views
When you reach the age of 50, you have hit a milestone – you are 50 years young. But, with age things start to slowdown. Your body isn’t as nimble as it once was and everyday tasks can become a little harder. Sometimes the simplest of things requires some additional planning to remember. We’re here to make your life a little easier with these hacks specifically for anyone over 50.
Regardless of what you need in life, subscribing to some of our emails for CVS, Rite Aid, Target, and Walgreens can only make things easier.
- Make a list. With age the memory can fade a bit. You may forget things from time to time. The easiest way to remember everything you have to do in a day is to make a list. Write everything down that you need to accomplish in a day or don’t want to forget. Put your list in a place where you will see it when you walk by and it will serve as a constant reminder of the day’s activities.
- Set an alarm for medication. If you have to take medication on a daily basis, it is easy to forget to take it at the same time every day or at all. Set an alarm on your phone to remind you daily that it’s time to take your pills. This way you can set it to go off at the same time each day, giving you a quick reminder to take your medication. You will never miss a day or forget again.
Source: West Elm Blog
- Workout everyday. While it may seem obvious that you need to work out to stay healthy, working out can actually do more to protect you from injury. By working out the muscles of your body each day, you will gain flexibility and strength. You won’t be apt to pull a muscle and injure yourself doing an activity that your body isn’t used to. It will keep your body limber and increase your movement. Not only will it keep you in shape as you get older, but it can prevent injury down the road.
Source: Huffington Post
- Take a picture of your car to remember where you parked. Have you ever come out of a shopping center to a crowded parking lot and had no idea where you are parked? This can happen to anyone as they get distracted by what they are doing and forget to make a mental note of where they’re parked. To help you remember, take a picture of your car where its parked. Be sure to get identifying markers in the picture and you will be able to navigate your way back to your vehicle in any parking lot.
- Use nail polish to identify keys. With so many keys on your key ring it can be a challenge knowing which one goes to what lock. Use some different colored nail polish to paint the top of your key and help you identify what each key is for. It will help you grab the right key in a hurry and will make sure you are using the correct one for the door you are trying to open.
- Going grocrey shopping? Take a picture of the inside of your refrigerator. When you get to a store to do your grocery shopping it can be easy to forget what you are there to get. As a helpful tip, take a picture of the inside of your refrigerator so you can easily see the contents and know what you are out of and need to get. You’ll easily be able to see what you already have on hand for food and it will prevent you from buying things you don’t need.
Source: Spoon University
- Tape down rugs so you don't trip and fall. How many times have you caught your shoe on the end of a run that was turned up? This could easily have you falling and hurting yourself. Use double-sided tape to tape the ends of all your rugs down. This will prevent you from catching your shoes on the ends and will stop them from slipping when you walk over them.
- Use a hanging shoe rack for easy storage. Are you sick of bending down all the time? It may be getting hard on your back to constantly be reaching for the household items you need. Place a hanging shoe rack over a door and use its pockets for the items you use most. This will give you easy access to the items you use on a daily basis and save your back from constantly bending down to reach things. Use one with clear pockets so you can see everything at first glance.
Source: Lighter Side of Real Estate
- Amplify your alarm with a glass. If you keep sleeping through your alarm on your smartphone, use an empty glass to make it louder. Simply set your alarm and place it in the empty glass while you sleep. When the alarm goes off it will be louder than usual because the glass allows the speaker to amplify. This will surely wake you up and you’ll never sleep through your alarm again.
- Take a photo of your medications. You may need to provide your medication information at doctor’s appointments or when you fill out paperwork. Remembering the names of everything you're taking and the dosages can be mind boggling. A quick way to have this information on hand when you need it is to take a picture with your smartphone of each bottle’s label. This will have all the information you need when you are asked to provide it, making life a bit easier.
Source: Everyday Health