August 17, 2016
· 1.6k Views
We are all very busy with our day to day lives, and unfortunately, one on one time with our little ones can sometimes be lost in all of the chaos. Far too often, we rely on the TV or other electronic devices to be the playmate of our children while we work, clean, cook, do laundry, and everything else in our power to make a happy home for them. But this means that we don’t always have the closest eye on our kids. So in order to watch over them a bit closer, keep them in check, protect them, and the like, here is a list of 5 great apps for the modern parent that is sure to help with each of these tasks.
As we near the start of the school year, these apps become more essential to our everyday lives. We can help ease the chaos with our 2016 Back to School Sales Round Up where you'll find all the best sales, and don't forget to check out our back to school shopping guides, such as:
Where to Get the Best Deals on School Uniforms
Save Money By Getting These School Supplies at Costco
Back to School Shopping on a Budget: Kids Edition
- SurfBalance. If your kids are anything like mine, you probably can’t keep them away from the electronics. If they had it their way, they’d be spending countless hours on their smartphones, laptops, or tablets, watching YouTube videos, networking on Facebook, Googling weird sports statistics, or watching TV shows on Netflix. If any of this sounds familiar, SurfBalance may be your new best friend. This app is a tool for parents to help them limit the amount of time that their children spend online each day or each week. It also allows parents to edit a list of kid-friendly websites, and the kids will not be able to open any of the unapproved sites. Reports are then created to show parents what sites have been visited and how long was spent on each site. All of this monitoring and restriction for a fair price of $4.99.
- Baby Monitor 3G. This app basically turns any smartphone into an HD-quality baby monitor. With a very easy download and install process, Baby Monitor 3G provides live high-definition video stream anywhere you go, as long as there is Internet access (WiFi, LTE, or 3G). Simply place your phone in a spot where the baby can’t reach it and aim it towards the baby. Then log into your account on your laptop, tablet, another phone, etc. and voila! You can watch your precious sleeping baby in live HD. The app even comes with an adjustable night light as well as two-way talking.
- Lightbot. It’s always difficult to find educational games that our kids won’t get bored with after 5-minutes, isn’t it? Lightbot is a simple learning program, geared towards children 4-9 years old. It is based around a robot that your child will learn to control by having him walk, jump, and more. As your child progresses through the game, the controls will grow increasingly difficult to keep them interested -- educational and fun!
Source: Google Play
- RedRover. Have you ever been on a super long road trip with the kids and not even an hour in, all you hear from the backseat is the sound of the kids bickering and nagging, “Are we there yet?” “I have to pee.” “I’m hungry.” Well, not anymore! The Red Rover app in fact may save you from leaving your child on the side of the road halfway there. (JUST KIDDING!). But seriously, this app is meant to help parents on long road trips, by finding local family-friendly events, attractions, and points of interest for wherever you’re currently located. Simply click the picture of the event, attraction, or POI and a new window will open containing full details like prices, hours, schedules, etc.
- ICE for Family Pro. In essence, this app is simply a mobile medical record keeper. “ICE” stands for “In Case of Emergency”. The app keeps track of all of your important health information, including medical conditions, allergies, contacts for emergencies, and even prescriptions. This is an all-around awesome tool for parents - especially those with more than one child, and those who are a bit more scatter-brained than others!