(Jamie is a guest blogger from Jamie Cooks It Up!)
If I could do anything in my earthly power to convince you to try this scrumptious chicken, I would! It is so delightful I had to restrain myself from eating it all before my family came home and joined me for dinner. Seriously. The chicken is lightly breaded with rosemary, thyme and a bit of flour. Cooked in a skillet, the edges of the chicken develop a heavenly, slightly crisp texture on the outside while remaining super moist and flavorful on the inside. And the mushrooms…oh man. Sauteed to perfection with just a hint of garlic and butter they are all things a delicious mushroom should be.
Also, please be aware that the ingredient list is very small and it should only take you about 30 minutes to get it on the table. There’s a lot to love about this recipe!
Make it, my friends.
Then invite me over at your earliest convenience. I can’t wait to taste it again!
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
1/2 C flour
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper
5 Tb olive oil, divided
1/2 C chicken broth
1 (16 ounce) package whole mushrooms, sliced
1 Tb butter
1. Place the chicken in a gallon sized zip loc bag. Pound it out flat with a meat mallet, then cut each breast into 2-3 strips. This will help the chicken remain tender.
2. Into a shallow dish (like a pie plate) place the flour, thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and toss it together with a fork to combine.
3. Heat a large deep skillet up over medium high heat. Add 4 Tb olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat through.
4. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and then place them in the hot oil. Cook the chicken on medium low until the bottom is nice and golden brown.
5. Turn the chicken over and pour the chicken broth evenly into the pan. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then remove the lid and allow the moisture to simmer and cook down. Should take about 3 minutes. Allow the chicken to get golden brown on the underside. Make sure the chicken is cooked in the center (it should no longer be pink) and remove the chicken to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside.
6. To the skillet (the same skillet you cooked the chicken in) add the remaining olive oil. Allow it to heat through and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook on medium high, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and slightly golden along the outsides.
7. Add the butter to the pan and sprinkle with garlic salt.
8. Add the chicken back into the pan and serve immediately.