December 14, 2015
· 1.8k Views
These Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars are soft, chewy and loaded with buttery goodness. The frosting has a fabulous cool peppermint flavor and is topped with crushed candy cane pieces. The batch makes a lot of bars, making these treasures perfect for gift giving. Add them to your holiday treat plate or take them to a party.
15 minutes prep + 15 minutes bakes
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 1/2 C flour
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
3 C powdered sugar
3 Tb whipping cream
2 tsp peppermint extract
dash salt20 miniature candy canesInstructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl toss together the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour. Add it to the creamed mixture and mix until combined.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and spread the dough over the pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow the bars to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream together all ingredients. Add more cream if the mixture is too dry and more powdered sugar if the mixture is too thin.
- Place 20 miniature candy canes in a large ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the candy into shards.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bars and immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top.
- Allow the frosting to set up (refrigerating will speed up this process), cut into bars and serve!