August 08, 2016
· 1.3k Views
Twitter is similar to Facebook in that it’s a social media platform that allows you to connect with others. You can post photos and videos along with short 140-character “tweets.” Founded in 2006, Twitter can be used for personal or business purposes, although it is mostly used by companies looking to gain new followers.
Twitter offers a lot of functionality, but chances are you don’t know how to do everything. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert tweeter, here are eight tips to help you gain followers and maximize your Twitter experience.
- Customize your profile. Make your profile stand out by using Twitter’s options for customization. Make sure your profile picture is clear. Use a headshot if this is your personal account. Make use of the ability to add a cover background image. Don’t forget your bio. Add skills and unique information about you. Include your URL in both the URL field and your bio for added optimization.
Source: Target Twitter
- Know how to tweet. The recommended tweet structure is: KEY MESSAGE – LINK #HASHTAG AFTERTHOUGHT. Try not to be too promotional, especially if you’re a company. Nobody wants to read nothing but advertising slogans. Keep your tweets short and sweet. Aim for 100 characters so that others can add commentary. Don’t be afraid to have a personality. It’s OK to be professional, but be sure to tweet funny content as well to liven the mood. Add hashtags so your tweet can be seen by a wider audience. People often search posts by hashtags, so include a couple in each tweet. You can benefit from using trending hashtags which are typically displayed on the lower left hand side on your Twitter homepage. Finally, don’t be afraid to add images as well. As the saying goes, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
Bonus Tip: DealsPlus post top daily deals, sales and coupons to DealsPlus Twitter so follow us for regular updates. (Don't miss out on great deals as we head into the holiday season!).
- Know when to tweet. Time your tweets so that a large number of people will see them. During the week, the late afternoon is typically the best time, as that’s when people are getting off work. You should also tweet regularly. You need to be consistent, and nobody wants to follow someone who’s only tweeted a couple times in the past year. If you can, tweet daily, or at least several times a week. For more detailed information, highly suggest giving this Buffer App Blog post a read. They've done a fascinating research on how to optimize your Tweet for engagements.
Source: Buffer App Blog
- Increase engagement. Don’t just post tweets and forget your followers. If you’re a business, your followers are your bread and butter, so to speak. They’re the ones purchasing your goods and services, so don’t ignore them when they ask questions. If a user often replies to your posts or retweets them, return the favor. Remember that Twitter isn’t just about tweeting. It’s about engaging with your followers, and you can easily do that by conversing with others and showing an interest.
- Use third-party tools to enhance your marketing strategy. If you’re a business, you’ll want to take advantage of tools to help maximize your marketing strategy. Here are some tools to consider:
SocialOomph: This site allows you to track keywords and schedule tweets in advance.
TwitPic: This site posts photos on your tweets to make the more appealing.
ManageFlitter: With this service, you can get details about your followers and see which ones are quiet or not following you back.
Tweetdeck: This is a free service that allows you to monitor your tweets, keep up with your Twitter followers and schedule all your tweets in advance.
- Practice good etiquette. Just because you’re hidden behind a computer screen doesn’t mean you can act nasty and disrespectful on Twitter. Don’t purposely go online looking for trouble or trying to start controversy (i.e. "trolling") as a way to gain attention. It’s OK to have a friendly debate with a friend or follower, but know when to stop. Remember to treat others like you’d want to be treated. Don’t troll on Twitter and leave mean comments.
- Avoid direct messaging. Now that you know what you should do on Twitter, here are some things that you shouldn’t do if you want to gain followers and keep your good reputation intact. The biggest mistake people make is using automatic direct messages. Also known as auto DMs, these are the most hated tweets on Twitter. These tweets are sent to new followers on Twitter and may look like the following:
“Thanks for following! Have you seen our Facebook page or blog?”
“Thanks for following me! I look forward to reading your tweets.”
“Watch my free videos and make more money.”
These tweets may look personal at first, but they’re actually spammy, as they’re often accompanied by links. It’s not building a genuine connection with followers – which is what you should be doing. Instead, people get turned off by this spam and they’ll end up unfollowing you. Bottom line: Take the time to build a rapport with your customers and followers rather than having a robot do the dirty work for you.
- Avoid these other common mistakes. So now you know to avoid auto DMs like the plague. What else should you do?
Avoid going overboard with hashtags. #Do #you #want #to #see #tweets #that #look #like #this? It’s annoying, isn’t it? Limit your hashtags to 1-3 per tweet.
If you need to chat with someone, do it over direct messaging so that others aren’t subject to your conversation.
Don’t go on Twitter just to complain. People want to hear positivity, and they’ll unfollow you if you’re constantly negative.
Don’t favorite every tweet that a person mentioned you in, as it makes you look like a stalker.
Don’t constantly follow and unfollow people. You’ll receive attention, but not the kind you’re looking for.
Social media is an excellent marketing tool for companies looking to promote products and services, and Twitter is no exception. While you might know how to send tweets and upload photos, Twitter can do so much more to help you stay connected to friends, family, fans and followers. By utilizing the tips above, you can make your profile stand out from the millions of others.