August 20, 2016
· 1.8k Views
Everyone is leading a busy life these days, going from one appointment to the next. You would certainly like to have the time to do all the activities that you really want to do. Freeing up that time seems to be difficult as other people and events seem to tug at the precious time that you have available. It can be hard to say no and then you find yourself rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off.
To put an end to the hectic days and nights, you need to develop some time management skills that will help you manage your time and the tasks you have to do on a daily basis. Not only is this a healthier way to live, but it will create more time that you can spend doing the things you really love with the people you want to be with. Use these tips to improve your time management.
- Learn to say no. It can be tempting to say yes to every offer you get to help someone or go to an event, but you need to get in the mind frame of only saying yes to the things you truly want to do. Learning to say no to people will help you carve out more time in your life for your family and friends.
If you really don’t want to do something, say so. You are not obligated to say yes all the time. When you do say no, don’t feel guilty about it either. Remember you are making time for yourself and the ones you really want to spend time with.
- Schedule me time. As busy as you are, you still need time to yourself. Just like you would schedule an appointment, schedule time for yourself. Whether you spend it taking a walk or reading a book, it will be time well spent where you can decompress and relax without anyone adding to your “To-Do” list.
By scheduling time for yourself, you will be more apt to take advantage of this time rather than if you just tried to fit in an hour or two for yourself in your busy day. This is much needed time and by scheduling it into your day, you are giving yourself permission to take it.
If you're looking for ideas for me time, visit our Groupon and Living Social coupon pages to find fun activities and ways to relax on a budget.
Source: Gathering of Minds
- Create a “To-Do” list. By taking the time to create a list of everything you have to do it will help you prioritize and get these tasks done quickly. Give each item on your list a time limit. When you look at your list, you will immediately notice that some tasks won’t take you very long at all. Do these first and get them out of the way.
By prioritizing your activities each day, it will help you stay on track and keep you within a time limit to complete them. This can stop you from procrastinating and help you to move through the list with each item you accomplish.
- Learn to delegate. While we all thing that we can do everything, this really isn’t the case and we do need help from time to time. Think about all your responsibilities that you have in a day. Are there some that you can delegate to someone in your office or home to do or help you with? Getting some of these tasks off your shoulders will give you more freedom and the time that you need.
Reach out to those around you and ask for help. There is nothing to be ashamed of when asking for help. Most people are happy to do so and will offer a helping hand willingly if they know you need it. You have to speak up to get the help you so desperately need as you can’t expect those around you to be mind-readers. Speak up and often and you will see you load lighten.
Source: Olive Blue
- Get organized. If you spend a lot of time looking for the things you need on a daily basis, this is a good sign that you are wasting time and need to get organized. You should have everything you use on a daily basis on hand and easy to find. For those items that don’t get used as consistently, they should still be accessible and you should know immediately where to go to find them.
Getting organized will give you a freedom that you have never experienced before as you will no longer be frantically searching for items in a panic. Imagine knowing where to look at a moment’s notice for important files or papers. This could be you if you take the time to get yourself organized.
Source: Add Space to Your Life
- Establish a routine. By having a routine that you follow each day, you will ultimately wind up being more productive. You will be able to accomplish certain activities just because they are a part of your everyday structure. You won’t have to be worried about these tasks throughout the day as they will be one of the first things you have gotten done on your list.
Also, having some structure in your life stops you from procrastinating and wasting time. Rather than thinking about what you have to do all day, you just get to it and do it. Think about all the time you will save if you are not worrying about what you have to do and you actually do it. A routine can help you get more done each day and free up some valuable time for you.
- Learn to multitask. We spend an absorbent amount of time waiting, whether it’s in lines or at appointments. Don’t let this time waiting just waste away. Put this time to good use. Catch up on emails or balance your checkbook. Think about all the small tasks that are building up that only take a few minutes to get done. Bring them with you wherever you go and when you have an extra five or 10 minutes, sneak them in.
Getting the small things done will help you save time throughout the day. You won’t have that nagging feeling in the back of your head about some inane task that has to be completed or you’ll forget. Wait times are perfect for catching up and getting yourself settled. Take advantage of the time waiting and you’ll discover you have added an extra hour or two to your day.
- Use a time management tool. You need to keep track of your appointments somehow and time management tools are the perfect way to do this. This will give you the ability to block out time for certain activities, events, and appointments, showing you how much time you eventually have left over. This will also give you a clear indication of where your time is going each day.
You can use a planner or one of the varieties of time management software tools that are out there. Use what best suits your lifestyle and will help keep you on track.
Source: Excite Creative Studios
Taking control of you time and how you spend it can give you immense freedom to do the things that are most important to you. Whether it’s more time spent with your family or hanging out with friends, these tools will help you find more time in your day to do just this. Use these tips and you are bound to see an improvement in your daily responsibilities, giving you more time to look forward to.