July 28, 2016
· 1.6k Views
If your child is enrolled in a private school, you will no doubt have to buy uniforms for the upcoming school year. You might be dreading this experience because of the inconvenience – after all, it’s easier and cheaper to head to the local clothing store to purchase school outfits. While you likely won’t be able to change the school uniform policy any time soon, you can eliminate the hassle of uniform shopping by finding out where to shop and how you can save money. Follow the tips and store selections outlined below for back to school savings.
Subscribe to our Amazon, Target, Kohl's, and Macy's coupon pages to get the latest scoop on back-to-school sales and promotions!
1. Buy Used
Source: Wood TV
If you can, buy used uniforms. Your child likely won’t care if his or her uniform looks slightly worn, since everyone else is wearing the exact same thing. Plus, you’ll save much more over buying new. Here are some places to find used uniforms for less.
- Uniform exchange: If your school has this, it’s a great way to score uniforms for free. Here’s how it works: When children outgrow their uniforms, they donate them to the school. The uniforms are placed in a pile and you can grab what you need. You likely won’t find everything you need, but you’ll probably find at least some shirts or pants.
- Thrift store: If a lot of students in one area are wearing uniforms, chances are you’re find some at your local thrift store like Goodwill. If you do, you’ll pay much less than buying new. Check out our Goodwill shopping tips!
- Craigslist: Craigslist tends to have just about anything you want or need, and school uniforms are no exception. If your school requires a simple, basic uniform, you’ll likely find many options on Craigslist. Plus, you have the options to haggle your way to a lower price or even trade an item or services for the uniform.
2. Buy New
Source: AET Uniforms
Sometimes you can’t buy used uniforms. Maybe the school requires customized uniforms or perhaps you just can’t find anything in your child’s size. If that’s the case, then buying new is your only option. But you still don’t have to pay full price. Here are some ways to purchase brand new uniforms at significant savings.
- Shop sales at the uniform store: If your child must have specific uniforms with the school’s logo, you don’t really have many options for saving money. You’ll have to do your shopping at the school’s uniform store, but you don’t always have to pay full price. Uniform stores do have sales, but the trick is knowing exactly when. Most have them in October. This means that you should buy a limited number of pants and shirts before school starts, and then do the rest of your shopping when the sale hits. You might be able to save 10-20%.
- Shop Amazon: Amazon is a great place to shop for school uniforms because they have more than 6,000 items available in their section. If your child’s school requires generic uniforms, then Amazon will likely have what you’re looking for. Your best bet is to shop right before school starts to take advantage of back to school sales, and you can always subscribe to our Amazon coupons to get notified of sales and promotions. Just keep in mind that shipping may take some time, so don’t order at the last minute unless you have some backups.
- Shop online for sales: Besides Amazon, there are many other stores that sell uniforms. Many of them are having sales at the moment, so don’t delay if you want to save money.
- French Toast is a site that sells nothing but uniforms and accessories. It offers a wide variety of sizes and often has sales and free shipping offers. Shop at the end of the season for the biggest deals.
- SchoolUniforms.com has been in the industry for 45 years. The site offers
- a wide variety of uniforms. You can also buy shoes, ties and other accessories.
- The Children’s Wear Outlet offers boys’ and girls’ uniforms at huge discounts.
- Target is currently having a sale on school uniform pieces. Choose from nearly 300 items, including shirts, pants, sweaters, dresses and scooters.
- Kohl’s is also having a sale on school uniforms. They have more than 400 items available. Save up to 50% on polos, pants, sweaters, dresses and skirts.
- Macy’s also sells a variety of school uniform pieces. While Macy’s is known as an upscale retailer, the prices are actually much lower than you’d expect. Right now, you can get up to 70% off select items and free shipping on orders of $50 or more. There are nearly 200 items available, so get your hands on them before this sale ends. Also check out 12 Ways You Can Save Even More at Macy's!
All in all, uniforms can be a timesaver in the mornings because they eliminate the need to spend precious time looking for the right outfit. Buying uniforms can seem like a frustrating – and costly – process, especially since sales are hard to come by. But by understanding where and when to shop, you can score great deals, and make going back to school easier on your wallet and less stressful for everyone involved.