Cards mentioned in this article
Citi Prestige® Credit Card
Wells Fargo Cash Back College℠ Card
Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Card
Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Here’s what you need to know about credit card cell phone protection plans:
- How to get coverage: Pay for your monthly cell phone bill with an eligible card.
- Who’s covered: Typically the primary cell phone line and any additional lines on the same plan.
- What’s covered: Accidental damage that causes your phone to be less functional (such as dropping your phone) and theft.
- What’s typically not covered: Lost phones, cosmetic damage (such as a scratch or damage that doesn’t impact the phone’s ability to operate), electronic issues (such as inability to charge), cell phone accessories, mechanical, software or battery failure and prepaid phones.
- Your out-of-pocket cost: Many plans require you to pay a fee (aka deductible) around $25 to $100 before your card’s insurance takes effect. Your card’s insurance is also secondary to any other cell phone insurance you already pay for.